Grade 10’s, here is the link to your on-line CPR manual: CPR Manual
You only study Part A (up to and including Part 5-choking).
In this course you will be learning:
Safety – to ensure that no further harm comes to you or to anyone else,
The Emergency Response Plan – to manage any situation,
CPR – for patients with no breathing,
How to Recognize Heart attacks and Strokes – to get someone to the hospital before CPR is necessary, and
Treatment for Choking – to clear the airway of a person who can’t breathe.
When to use this:
Level A Course (Adults): The skills you will be learning on this course are for patients eight or older. Children and infants require different first aid techniques.
Below is the information for the JOPE Grade 9’s (Feb. 15th) and Grade 8’s (February 22) who are attending the Winter Field Trip at Cypress Mountain (tubing):
Itinerary: busses arrive and we are leaving JO at 8:15am!!! Do not be late!
Activities: 10:00 – 1:20 activities (tubing and lunch). 1:30 pm leave Cypress Mnt.
Please check the weather report (604-419-7669) or via the website https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/forecasts/ski-and-snow/british-columbia/cypress-mountain) for conditions up Cypress the night berfore so you can prepare accordingly.
CLOTHING: Warm winter clothing (layers are great) and waterproof jackets and footwear are important. This means wearing a toque, waterproof gloves or mitts, snow pants and winter boots. If you don’t have these, then rain boots with warm socks and a rain jacket and pants with warm layers underneath will work.
LUNCH/FOOD: There is a snack shack up there, but the prices are inflated and the line-ups can be too. We recommend packing your own lunch. There is a warming hut with tables for anyone to eat their lunch. We won’t be able to leave anything on the bus, so pack lightly in a backpack you can place with other packs in the snow. We recommend you bring an extra shirt, pants and socks to wear on the bus ride down the mountain.
Don’t forget water in a water bottle.
The PE Department will be taking orders for JOPE clothing (gym strip) this week. Please click on the link for the order form (which includes clothing options & prices). All orders and payments must be in to your teacher by Friday, September 15th. If you have any questions, please see your individual PE teacher.
JO PE CLOTHING ORDER FORM
Welcome returning and new students to John Oliver Secondary! This is the front page of the PE Website.
Anything and everything regarding Physical & Health Education at JO can be found on this site and/or your teacher’s blog page.
A reminder that during the first couple of weeks of school you will want to:
- Have appropriate PE Clothing/gym strip which you CHANGE into before class (t-shirt, shorts or sweat pants and running shoes). We encourage you to join the JO community and purchase a JO issued top (Cheques payable to John Oliver Secondary). Clothing is available through your individual PE teacher.
- Have a secure lock for the changing room to lock your belongings during PE class. This is a MUST as theft from the lockers can happen and has happened in the past. You may purchase a $9 lock from your PE teacher.
- Have downloaded a copy of the course outline and curriculum schedule for your own personal information. (Have a binder dedicated to PE). Outlines and curriculum are posted above (in the pages sections).
- Have visited the PE Website as well as your Teacher’s Blog (where applicable).
We are looking forward to a great year!
Mr. Aprim (Dept Head), Ms. Haysom, Ms. Matheson, Mr. Ambrose (South Gym Office)
Mr. Jabillo (Mr. Hoffmann), Mr. Johnson, Mr. Murthi, Mr. Lee (Main Gym)
John Oliver PE Department Presents:
3 VS 3
Grades 8 & 9
SIGN-UP by Nov. 9 at lunch using the roster form in the main gym P.E. Office on the wall.
Games begin Tuesday Nov. 15 at lunch in the Main Gym.
If you have any questions, ask your P.E. Teacher!
Intramural Volleyball Feb/March 2016
- Juniors have three teams and Seniors have three teams. The teams will play each other twice (8 game dates total). Playoffs are in the last week before spring break (last two dates)
- All games are on Monday and Wednesdays
- Games begin at lunch on:
- Monday Feb. 15: West Gym: Aces vs Death from Above
East Gym: MKZ vs. Chicken
- Wednesday Feb. 17: West Gym: Aces vs. DAB
East Gym: MKZ vs. All About that Ace
- The rest of the schedule will be posted outside the main office and by the main doors to the main gym
Respect your opponent, play hard but most importantly have fun!
Grade 8’s your Snowshoe & Tubing field trip is Thursday, February 4th. Please see the attached sheet for more details for the day (clothing, lunch etc): Snowshoeing letter
Grade 9’s your Cross Country Ski field trip goes Friday, February 5th. Here is your sheet with similar details:Cross Country Letter
For both grades, your permission forms and fees are due ASAP!!! Deadline is January 25th.
Ultimate will be the first Intramurals sports this year at John Oliver. It’s Co-ed and Everyone is Welcome!
- Juniors (Grade 8 and 9) Tuesday/Thursday
- Seniors (Grades 10-12) Monday/ Wednesday
- Registration forms can be picked up and dropped off in the waiting room outside of the main P.E. Office or downloaded here: JUL Registration
- Registration is limited, so first-come, first-serve.
- Deadline for Registration is: Friday September 18 by 3:15pm.
- Captain’s meeting Tuesday September 22nd at lunch in the Main Gym. Meeting is mandatory or else your team is removed from the tournament.
- League begins Wednesday September 23rd and ends Thursday October 22nd.If you need more information, see Ms. Haysom (Day 1), Ms. Matheson (Day 2) or any member of the P.E. Department.