John Oliver Parent Advisory Committee
Minutes from September 22nd, 2009
Introduction: Rashpal Hundal calls meeting to order and welcomes everyone.
a) Adoption of adgenda for Deptember 22nd moved by Rashpal Hundal/seconded by Ingrid Gowans
b) B) Adoption of minutes from May 26th moved by Dipinder Brar/ seconded byJoan Soriano
Reviewed last treasurers repot awaiting new numbers not yet available
- $3,000 bursaries
- $3,000 dry grad
- awaiting gaming funds
- Terry Fox Run
- Ashland, Oregon gr. 10-12 Sept. 28 – Oct 2
- Banfield gr. 8-9 Oct. 5-9
- Fundraiser Entertainment books
- Returning to the one class per grade model this year with 30 grade 8 student accepted
- Next year to roll out tech immersion
Student Council report
- SP cards being sold in the cafeteria to raise funds for the retreat Oct 3rd
- Student council elections held at the end of the year (except for gr. 8 which is held at the beginning of the new year)
- Student council looking for student imput/opinions
- Student council raises money to pay for police presence at school dances and to further support other student clubs who do fundraising of their own
Thank-you for a large PAC attendance.
Galileo Student lounge to be opening soon.
Irfan Sheikh and Tomas Harapanuick (VP) gave a presentation similar to that given to all the students, which included the following…..
- Daily bulletin on-line
- School web site
- Daily physical activity – cream sheet to be coming home for parent signature
- Academic honesty
- Positive newspaper articles about J.O.
- Increasing school enrolment
- Consistent improvement in student attendance
- Atlas of child development
- Potential for improvement based on socio-economic conditions
Sock wars – all students are encouraged to bring in new socks which will be donated to the homeless.
The legacy challenge – grade 12s to find a project they wish to support.
Electronic devises will be confiscated if used during instructional times.
All parents are encouraged to come to next months PAC meeting and bring a friend if possible.