JO PAC Meeting Minutes – Oct. 18, 2017

Present:  Sheril Gelmon, Sukhminder Guru, Ramandeep Kaurminhas – Co-Chairs, Tracey Santos – Treasurer, Lara Spence – Communications/Social Media, Suzanne Smythe –DPAC Rep., Jo-Ann Gordon – Secretary, Sheri Wiwchar – Co-Fundraising Coordinator, Pedro da Silva – Principal, James Francom, Eddie Cruz, Sharween Siddeeq, 25 parents and 6 students presenting, Student Council Co-President

The meeting began at 7:00 pm with parents introducing themselves and sharing what grade(s) their child(ren) are in. Approval of minutes from Sept. 20 meeting by Lara Spence and seconded by Kanwal & Marjinder Deol.

  1. Presentations by Clubs and Groups for Gaming Grant money:

Creative Writing (James Francom – sponsor teacher) – asking for $250 and agreed to give $250
– writing mentor from UBC (Mika) comes to JO Tues. after school for 10 week session
– goal is to get published in a literary book
– about 20 members in Club so far
– received $250 from PAC in Spring – would like an additional $150 to total $400 for mentor – would like $100 for printing of stories in different forms from the book
– Photography Club (meets Fri. lunch) – is looking to do Portraits of New York style for JO – wants to collaborate with writers from Creative Writing Club

Jr. Life Skills Program – The Art of Belonging (Eddie Cruz – sponsor teacher, Roz MacLean – teacher) – asking for $920 and agreed to give $920 with provision that if given a grant from Opus to give money back to PAC
– ongoing art workshops for Lifeskills students and non-disabled peers from Take a Hike Program
– Roz MacLean will be the visiting artist for 7 sessions (once/twice weekly) – with an art show in March 2018
– have received $2,150 from ArtStarts and require $920 for supplies – leftover supplies remain at the school
– have applied to Opus Art Supplies for a donation – will know in about 6 weeks time

Hallway Health Project (Catherine McCambridge) – sponsor teacher) – asking for $300. Mr. da Silva will ask Catherine to see about community service funds. To be re-visited next meeting.
– tables are set up in the hallways during lunch time once or twice/month
– follow themes promoted by Health Canada – Sleep Hygiene, HPV Prevention, Smoking, etc.
– would like to buy prizes and food to entice students to drop by the tables and gather information

Grad Committee (Sharween Siddeeq – sponsor teacher) – asking for $4,500 and agreed to give $1,500 for Grad Breakfast and $3,000 for Dry Grad
– Grad Breakfast $1,500 (VSB Catering) Nov. 23 – wear PJ’s, eat breakfast, open Gr. 8 letters written to self
– Dry Grad $3,000 (Mystery Bus tour, assembly, dinner, casino games in gym) – May 25, 2018 – Dry Grad will end up costing around $10,000
– fundraising for other money – already raised $2,000 in the summer, as well as $2,400 VSB grant
– does not include Prom (which is cost about $26,000) and Grad ceremony
– Grad Committee also raised money for Grad Committee Awards and to give back
– Grad BBQ – donations came from students soliciting from businesses

Student Council (Jacqui Symons – sponsor teacher) – asking for nothing at this time as received money from VSB
– puts on events to build school spirit (Dances, Canned Food Drive, Santa Pictures, etc.)
– Student Council provides leadership and support to other clubs

Safe Teen (Don – sponsor teacher) – asking for $2,400, and agreed to give $2,400
– anti-violence program for Gr. 10’s ($325/class for 2 sessions each)

Athletics Program (Pat Lee – sponsor teacher) – asking for $7,000. More information is needed from Mr. Lee and so this will be looked at again next meeting.
– $2,000 for annual BCSS school fees; $3,000 for uniforms; $2,000 for balls
– Jokers Corner and tournaments and Poinsettas raise money for Athletics – $50 is fee for students to take as many sports as they like

  1. Treasurer’s report: (Tracey Santos)

We have received Gaming money of $25,000 for this year. Out of that $5,000 will be carried forward to next year, $2,500 for June 2018 scholarships, and the remainder given to Clubs and Groups in need.

Legacy Account (from 100 year anniversary) has about $15,000, which is being saved for when the new school is built. A scholarship comes out of the account.

  1. Principal’s Report: (Pedro da Silva)
  • Oct. 19 – Interim reports being sent home (work habits and comments)
  • Oct. 26 – School Dance at 7 pm
  • Nov. 9 – Remembrance Day assembly – open to parents
  • Nov. 23 – 1st Term Report cards
  • Nov. 30 – parent/teacher night
  • Received VBS Student Learning Grant of $34,000 (one time given) – teachers meeting to discuss how to allocate (instructional supplies, athletic supplies, band/instruments, ELL students, etc.) – must be spent by Dec. 31, 2017. Will be presented at next PAC meeting.
  • All teachers have been hired – Math one is temporary until next Spring.
  • New District school websites will be online Jan/Feb 2018 – teachers emails should be on website.
  1. Fundraising: (Lara Spence)

A couple fundraisers to watch for: If buying a Grouse ski pass, please use PAC-OLIVER promo code (late in buying process) at http://www.grousemountain.com/early-bird-pac (if we can run $7400 through promo code, we get 15% back). Gift card shopping Fundscrip https://www.fundscrip.com/support-a-group/VD2ZJ6 . Funds raised go to PAC for distribution (Mini also using Fundscrip). See PAC website for details: http://jo-online.vsb.bc.ca/pac/fundscrip/

  1. DPAC: (Suzanne Smythe)

Suzanne agreed to be the liaison for DPAC this year. Nov. 9 there will be new Trustees meeting and she will be there on behalf of JO.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:30 pm. with the next PAC meeting to be held Wednesday November 22, 2017 at 7pm in the Library.

To stay in touch and help learn about/share the happenings at John Oliver, please:
‘Like’ John Oliver on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/john.oliver.secondary/)
Twitter (@jo_school)
(if in Mini) ask to join Mini School parents FB
(https://www.facebook.com/groups/620874101402791/) Read the John Oliver PAC blog (http://jo-online.vsb.bc.ca/pac

JO PAC Meeting Minutes – Sept. 20, 2017

Present:  Anne Montgomery – Past PAC Chair, Tracey Santos – Treasurer, Ramandeep Kaurminhas Co-DPAC Rep., Jo-Ann Gordon – Secretary, Pedro da Silva – Principal, Mr. Francom and 55 parents

The meeting began at 7:00 pm with parents introducing themselves and sharing what grade(s) their child(ren) are in.

  1. Principal’s Report:

Pedro da Silva, Principal – Gr. 8
Lindsay Reynolds, Vice-Principal – Gr. 9 and Gr. 10
Damien Wilmann, Vice-Principal – Gr. 11 and Gr. 12
Teresa Minato – Office Manager
Sengpat – Receptionist

Counsellors – all have one Grade and they share the Gr. 8’s
Mr. R. Edge – Gr. 9 and Gr. 8 (A-C)
Ms. A. Alvares – Gr. 10 and Gr. 8 (D-J)
Ms. S. Birkenhead – Gr. 11 and Gr. 8 (K-P)
Mr. A. Steinruck – Gr. 12 and Gr. 8 (Q-Z)

School Update –

– 1112 enrollment (up about 40 students from last year) – includes 231 Grade 8’s
September 21 – 6:00 pm – Gr. 8 Info Night
September 28 – Terry Fox Run
September 29 – Orange Shirt Day (Aboriginal)
October 4 – Grad BBQ
October 13 – Photo Re-take Day
October 19 – Interim Reports (sent home before first report card)

Fall Sports – season is beginning for Boys Soccer, Girls Volleyball and Cross Country

Communication –

– download “JO Agenda” from App Store or Google Play onto iphone (about 500 students on it so far; would like all 1100 students on it)

– WAAG (week-at-a-glance) – parents weekly agenda – only sent to Primary email for family – if you haven’t received this then contact the office – it means either your email is missing or the Primary email needs to be changed

BC’s New Curriculum – new Gr. 10-12 curriculum will be starting next September 2018 – https://curriculum.gov.bc.ca/

School Plan – need to create a new 3 year school plan
Course Selection –
revisit the course selection process – more guidance will be given to students next year
District –
revamping school websites (much needed)
Report Cards –
how we report grades to school is changing
Long Term Facilities Plan –
JO need to be seismically upgraded or brand new school
Teacher shortage –
JO still needs to hire 3 teaching positions (District has hired over 400 additional teachers this year)

Check out more information on website – jo-online.vsb.bc.ca

  1. PAC Meetings: (Jo-Ann Gordon)

Dates for the 7 PAC meetings are –
Sept. 20, Oct. 18, Nov. 22, Jan. 17, Feb. 21, Apr. 18, May 23 (last meeting)

No meetings in December 2017, March 2018, or June 2018

Lara is arranging for guest speakers for each meeting, on relevant topics to build our knowledge of John Oliver clubs, departments (music, athletics, etc.) and parenting issues/concerns/skills.

  1. Treasurer’s report: (Tracey Santos)

There is about $4,000 carried forward in the Gaming Account from last year. Every April apply for grant, which is received in October the same year. It will be approximately $22,000 this year. Gaming Account covers 1/3 of the money needed to run clubs, sports and music in the school. Fundraising by the PAC is needed for the shortfall.

Legacy Account (from 100 year anniversary) has about $15,000, which is being saved for when the new school is built. A scholarship comes out of the account.

Consultative Committee Account (from fundraising, group donations) has about $6,600 – money for Teachers’ lunch, and other requests if we run out of Gaming Account funds.

  1. Voting for PAC positions:

PAC Co-Chairs – Ramandeep Kaurminhas, Sheril Gelmon and Sukhminder Guru
Co-Secretaries – Jo-Ann Gordon and Wendy Sinclair
Treasurer – Tracey Santos
Co-Fundraising Coordinators – Jennifer West and Sheri Wiwchar
Communications/Social Media – Lara Spence
DPAC Rep/Advocacy – volunteer(s) needed – District PAC Representative to attend meetings (up to 2/month) – at the VSB Broadway & Fir building (7pm)
DPAC Liaison – Anne Montgomery

  1. DPAC: (Anne Montgomery)

DPAC is hosting a forum for Trustee candidates on Tuesday Oct. 3 at 6:00 pm at John Oliver Sec. school (volunteers needed to help). If interested contact annemontgomery@yahoo.com. Thursday Oct. 14 new Trustees are voted in. Here is a link for more information –

http://vancouver.ca/your-government/candidate-profiles.aspx

  1. Maker Mobile:

Farrell Segall’s Maker Mobile was vandalised this summer. Donations are needed to re-build it.

Click here to support Repair and Restore MakerMobile organized by Farrell Segall

The meeting was adjourned at 8:00 pm. with the next PAC meeting to be held Wednesday October 18, 2017 at 7pm in the Library. Clubs and Teachers will present requests for funds from the Gaming Grant. Parents will vote afterwards. Depending on the number of presentations, this meeting may go until 9pm.

To stay in touch and help learn about/share the happenings at John Oliver, please:

‘like’ the John Oliver Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/John-Oliver-Secondary-School-1081121061932130/?fref=ts ), the Twitter feed (https://twitter.com/jo_school), or (if in Mini) ask to join the Mini School parents FB (https://www.facebook.com/groups/620874101402791/)

You can also check in on the John Oliver PAC blog (http://jo-online.vsb.bc.ca/pac).

John Oliver PAC Meeting Minutes – May 17, 2017

Present:   Anne Montgomery (PAC Chair), Jo-Ann Gordon (Secretary), Suzanne Smythe (Co-DPAC Rep), Pedro de Silva (Principal), Teachers – John Silver, Sangeeta Kauldher (PAC Liaison), James Francom, Jacqui Symons and 7 parents

The meeting began at 7:00 p.m. Approval of minutes from Apr. 19 meeting by Lara Spence and seconded by Antonella Perri.

  1. Presentations by Clubs and Groups for Gaming Grant money:

There is only $2,000 left in the Gaming Grant, to distribute at the end of the year. Other money in the PAC account was given to scholarships for graduation. Funds were already given to Robotics earlier in the year.

Skills Canada Club (John Silver – sponsor teacher) – asking for $2,200

– 20 students in club (Girls STEM, Shop and Robotics) – money to allow them to enter competitions

– $1,500 each for VEX Robots to enter VEX Robotics Competition; $700 for router and router table to enter cabinet making competition; public speaking and job interview competition;

Creative Writing Club (James Francom -sponsor teacher) – asking for $250

– New Shoots mentorship program has been defunded – for $250 12 students have 10 weeks with a mentor from UBC – some written pieces are published in an anthology

– Int’l Book Day – students entered 100 word short story contest

Student Council (Jaqui Symons – sponsor teacher) – asking for $500

– Team Building (hike and kayak in Deep Cove) June 29 for new and old student council members

– Student Council provides leadership and support to other clubs (ex. Yearbook – distribution party and Grad Committee dances)

– would like to have another Leadership Summit at the end of each year (include finance and leadership for all clubs)

Grad Committee (Sangeeta Kaulder, Richard Edge – sponsors)

– presented a signed Thank You card from 200 grads to PAC for supporting Grad events

Girls Softball Team (Nathan – sponsor) – asking for $500

– won City championships last year and this year – would like to buy jackets for the team

Jr. Lifeskills Program (Eddy – sponsor) – asking for $500

– wanting to build a Sensory Room

– if essential to students learning it should be paid for by the VSB

Exceptional Students Dept/Skills Development Centre – asking for $400

– for supplies – once again if the supplies are essential then should come from school

As a group it was decided to give the remaining Gaming funds to:

Creative Writing – $250

Student Council – $500

Athletics – $750

$500 to be carried over to next year

It was suggested that a notice go out to parents asking any with Grant Writing Skills to come forward, to help with grant writing for various clubs (Athletics, Skills Canada Club, etc.).

  1. Principal’s Report (Pedro)
  • May 23 – Scholarship meeting
  • May 24 – Grad tickets to be picked up and Teachers Appreciation Lunch
  • June 5 – IDS Expo 8:00 am – 9:00 pm (students display work)
  • June 6 – school leaving ceremony at Chan Centre (7:00 pm)
  • June 7 – Band final performance (7:00 pm)
  • June 12-15 – double blocks for final exams
  • June 22 – Awards (1:00-3:00 pm)
  • June 23 – Yearbook distribution party
  • June 28 – Mini School potluck
  • Langara Homestay – high school students – contact Barbara Onstad if interested (homestay@langara.ca)
  • Thank You to Anne Montgomery for being PAC Chair for 3 years and Co-Chair with Farrell Segall for 2 years.

Meeting was adjourned at 8:15 pm.

Have a good summer! Next meeting will be Wednesday Sept. 30 at 7:00 pm.

To stay in touch and help learn about/share the happenings at John Oliver, please:

‘like’ the John Oliver Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/John-Oliver-Secondary-School-1081121061932130/?fref=ts ), the Twitter feed (https://twitter.com/jo_school), or (if in Mini) ask to join the Mini School parents FB (https://www.facebook.com/groups/620874101402791/)

You can also check in on the John Oliver PAC blog (http://jo-online.vsb.bc.ca/pac).

 

John Oliver PAC Meeting – April 19, 2017

Present:  Anne Montgomery (PAC Chair), Jo-Ann Gordon (Secretary), Tracey Santos (Treasurer), Ramandeep Kaurminhas (Co-DPAC Rep), Pedro de Silva (Principal), Sangeeta Kauldher (Teacher), Farrell Segall (Past PAC Chair) and 12 parents

The meeting began at 7:00 p.m. Approval of minutes from Feb. 15 meeting by Majinder Deol and seconded by Jo-Ann Gordon.

  1. Principal’s Report (Pedro)
  • course selection – sent home with students, for parents to see as well
  • Indoor Track Meet – March 31 – was a great success and a lot of fun
  • incoming Gr. 7’s – JO Principal and VP meet with Elementary school teachers at their schools, to better know the students (academically, socially, financially) who will be coming to JO in the fall – helping them transition to high school
  • Aboriginal night was held at Templeton – JO participated
  • Mini School on field trip this week
  • After school – Mon. & Wed. Mentor Club – all students welcome – help with homework; Fri. ELL Club; Tues. & Thurs. Math & Science tutors [older students and teachers are on hand to help]
  • additional staffing of teachers will happen for the fall
  • Code of Conduct review – common expectations in classroom and in school – feedback from some parents is welcome [JOKERS is the old code of conduct]
  • May 10 – Dry Grad for all Gr. 12’s
  • May 11 – School Dance for all grades
  • June 6 – School Leaving ceremony at the Chan Centre
  • June 16 – Gr. 12 Prom Night
  1. Treasurer’s Report (Tracey)

Account has a total of $8,351.48, some of which will be carried over to next year. The balance needs to be given out. Teachers have until May 3 to email Anne Montgomery with requests, otherwise funds will go to Music and Athletics.

Direct Drive – Chimp program to be set up for the fall (easier to read and donate; receive a thank you and tax receipt right away).

In the September student mail out, will add form to sign up to be included in PAC emails and the Direct Drive letter.

  1. Farrell Segall (Past PAC Chair)

Will match donations to the Robotics program. Pedro to send out information to parents/students about how to donate.

Vancouver Maker Faire – Sunday June 11 – PNE Forum 2pm.

All students get in free. Farrell is offering $250, $150 and $100 cash prizes for innovative ideas. Deadline is June 4th. Website is www.makerfaire.ca and for information/submit entries: nifty2017@toptekkies.com

  1. Chair’s Report (Anne)

SACY – support for parents. Will be holding May and June workshops. Check website www.vsb.bc.ca/sacy for more information.

Committee of the Whole – Suzanne and Anne attended. More money needs to be put into education as programs and positions are still being cut. A letter will be circulated to JO parents to sign and send to their MLA’s and Premier.

DPAC – MLA candidates will meet Tues. Apr. 25 (6:30-8:30 pm) at the VSB Main office on Broadway.

Gordon Neufeld Workshop – Fri. Apr. 28 and Sat. Apr. 29 “Raising Resilient Children”. For information check out www.neufeldinstitute.org

Mini School Fundraising – magazine subscriptions to be sent out by Lara in the next week or so.

Talked about Poinsettias and Purdy’s as suggestions for whole school fundraisers for next year.

PAC Scholarships – six $500 scholarships (1T. Harpiniuk, 2 Mini School, 3 Regular). Criteria is listed on JO website. Pursuing further post-secondary education to be added to criteria for the Regular ones. Teachers and Principal make the decisions.

  1. Graduating Class of 2017

Parent Volunteers (preferably non-Gr. 12 parents) are needed for Dry Grad night Wed. May 10 (5-9 pm) in 2hr shifts. Please contact Miss Kauldher skauldher@johnoliver.ca if you can help.

  1. Teacher’s Appreciation Lunch

Wed. May 24. Please consider volunteering to help PAC with set up and clean up on that day (11-1 pm). As well food and donations are gratefully accepted. A number of prizes are given to teachers randomly (gift certificates, etc.). Please contact Anne annemontgomery@yahoo.com or Tracey tsknit@gmail.com if you can help with prizes, contacting restaurants, setting up, etc.

Meeting was adjourned at 8:10 pm. Final PAC meeting will be Wed. May 17 (7-8 pm). Discussions for PAC positions, and final disbursing of funds will be on the agenda.

To stay in touch and help learn about/share the happenings at John Oliver, please:

‘like’ the John Oliver Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/John-Oliver-Secondary-School-1081121061932130/?fref=ts ), the Twitter feed (https://twitter.com/jo_school), or (if in Mini) ask to join the Mini School parents FB (https://www.facebook.com/groups/620874101402791/)

You can also check in on the John Oliver PAC blog (http://jo-online.vsb.bc.ca/pac).

John Oliver PAC Meeting – Feb. 15, 2017

Present:    Anne Montgomery (PAC Chair), Jo-Ann Gordon (Secretary), Tracey Santos (Treasurer), Pedro de Silva (Principal), Lindsay Reynolds (Vice-Principal) and 4 parents

The meeting began at 7:00 p.m.  Approval of minutes from Jan. 25 meeting by Tracey Santos and seconded by Jo-Ann Gordon.

  1. Principal’s Report (Pedro)
  • 7 Stories is being performed by Drama Feb. 20, 21, 22 and 23 at 7:00 pm.
  • Green Thumb will be performing a play “Alone Together” on Friday March 10th.
  • 5 yr Strategic Plan will be posted on JO website.
  • Staffing – based on new curriculum and changes in class size, there may delay in course selection in September.
  • Introducing Lindsay Reynolds, new VP
  • STEM – career day happened with Science World
  • Riverdale – filmed episode 13 and will continue at JO – 2 main areas being used are the Cafeteria and small gym.
    Death Note – may come and do a re-shoot this March.
  1. Treasurer’s Report (Tracey)

Bingo Night (Jan 26) raised $722.55 for PAC.
VanCity $500 donation was added to Account bringing total to $8,351.48.
Money from this account will be used for Teacher’s Lunch, 6 year-end Scholarships and perhaps Athletics; with surplus carried over to next year.

  1. Bingo Night

Turnout was good, as well as prizes. Noticed that the crowd was mainly caucasian. Next year perhaps approach the Filipino or Indian groups to have something within their communities included in the school as a fundraiser, or to offer something different to attract more parents from the whole school.

  1. DPAC – Two surveys:
  1. Lord Roberts – seismic upgrade
  2. Questions to Mike Bernier:
  • Why are there so many CP days (20 in the year) in high school?
  • When will money be there for school to hire teachers for accommodating smaller classes.
  • Better drug education needs to be developed and implemented in high schools.
  • Students graduate with too little education. When will post-secondary counsellors be re-attached to every high school, and not 1 counsellor for 4 or more high schools?
  • Will more funding be made available for electives so more classes that are popular but do not meet 30 student minimum, can be run?
  1. Graduating Class of 2017

There are 220 grads this year. Wanting to ensure cost is not an issue for students to attend all the planned activities. Grad photos too expensive from Mountain West photography and so contracts will be re-visited for next year.

  1. Teacher’s Lunch

Friday April 28, 2017. Please consider volunteering to help PAC with set up and clean up on that day. As well food donations gratefully accepted. Please contact Anne annemontgomery@yahoo.com or Tracey tsknit@gmail.com

  1. Richard Edge
  • ELL – team teaching in skills centre, so more effective with reaching students and completing work.
  • BC select standing committee on finance and government services. A provincial sub-committee (non partisan) wanting to restore learning and teaching conditions to previous levels. Parents can check out https://bctf.ca/parents.aspx for more information.

Meeting was adjourned at 8:10 pm. Next meeting to be held Wednesday April 12 after spring break.

To stay in touch and help learn about/share the happenings at John Oliver, please:

‘like’ the John Oliver Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/John-Oliver-Secondary-School-1081121061932130/?fref=ts ), the Twitter feed (https://twitter.com/jo_school), or (if in Mini) ask to join the Mini School parents FB (https://www.facebook.com/groups/620874101402791/)

You can also check in on the John Oliver PAC blog (http://jo-online.vsb.bc.ca/pac).

 

John Oliver PAC Meeting Minutes – Jan. 25, 2017

Welcome back!

Attendance: Anne Montgomery, PAC Chair, Tracey Santos, Treasurer, Ramandeep Minhas and Suzanne Smythe, DPC Representatives, Pedro DaSilva, Principal, Richard Edge, School Counsellor, Roma Mehta, Sacy Representative; 8 parents

Last month’s minutes were accepted and seconded.

  1. Sacy – Roma Mehta from Sacy (School Age Children and Youth) came to remind us that Sacy is there to support parents and students by offering workshops (there is an upcoming Capacity Café at JO where students can tell parents what school and teenage hood is like for them) and meeting one-on-one with students and parents.

– in April there will be the workshop ‘Building Bridges With Your Teen’.

– there is a youth support worker at JO – Kelly – and kids don’t need a referral to see her.

– Feb 8 & 9, there will be a health fair at the school for kids, and there is a wellness club at lunch time during the week.

– STEP – Sacy Teen Engagement Program – Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays every week; kids talk about adolescent development.

  1. Richard Edge spoke of the $44 million that the VSB will be receiving from the government. Schools will present requests for “areas of need” in order to get money. JO is hoping to get 2 full-time positions filled, which will help lower the teacher to student ratio for some classes.
  1. Pedro’s Report – The Human Library was held this past week and was very successful in engaging students. People were invited to come and share in their area of expertise, with a focus on the STEM programs.

– Canadian Films were also offered this week after exams.

– it’s time to look at course selection for next year so talk to your kids; they can start choosing courses next week.

– staff changes: Shannon (Vice Principal) was transferred to Kits High, and was replaced by Lindsay Reynolds.

– BC new curriculum – the Grade10/11 curriculum has been delayed for another year although core classes have already started moving towards the new curriculum; there will be no further exams except for Language Arts 12.

  1. Treasurer’s Report – after paying out over $11,000 for teacher/student requests, we are left with just over $9,000 in our gaming account. We expect to have more requests given to the PAC over the next couple of months.

– the Direct Drive wasn’t as successful as hoped, bringing in just over $900. Sheril suggested we keep sending out the request and Anne suggested we try and get it translated into other languages. Anne will ask the Tupper PAC what they think made their DD successful?

– Pedro suggested a couple of fundraising ideas: offer plaques on the back of the auditorium chairs for donations of $100 and over (this would be a great idea for the new build, in order to raise funds to keep the auditorium), or have alumni years start a competition to raise the most money for the Direct Drive, and the year that raises the most can have a plaque and their year’s grad photos put up by the office.

  1. The Mini school held it’s 2nd Bingo fundraiser on January 26 and it was a fun and successful evening, bringing in around $700 for the Mini school. A big thanks to all who donated prizes and snacks, and who bought tickets and played. The big winner of the night was a neighbour from the community who won a tablet!
  1. Tracey suggested we revisit the idea of a fall fair for late September or early October. We’ll talk to Jeff Spence since he had wanted to do a fair, and see if a concrete plan can be developed before the end of the spring semester.
  2. The Drama Department is presenting Morris Panych’s ‘7 Stories’ in the JO Auditorium, February 20, 21, 22 and 23. Door open at 6pm, show starts at 7pm. Tickets are $10 and can be purchased from students, at the office or at the door. Come out and support the Drama students!

Meeting adjourned at 8pm; next PAC meeting set for Wednesday, February 15 at 7pm.

 

JO PAC Meeting – Nov. 16, 2016

Present:         Anne Montgomery – PAC Chair, Jo-Ann Gordon – Secretary, Farrell Segall (past PAC Chair), Pedro de Silva – Principal, and 9 parents

The meeting began at 7:00 p.m. Approval of minutes from Oct. 19 meeting by Kanwal Deol and seconded by Majinder Deol.

  1. Presentation by Eastside Fitness (Wendy – co-owner)
  • Located on Fraser Street across from the school – offers personal training, yoga, zumba and other classes; teenagers are welcome to any class $5.00 (waiver signed once), Teen Girls class offered too
  • Free Month Pass for silent auction and Free Class cards.
  • Space is available for rent for parties or community gatherings.
  • Dance Co. bought the building and are upstairs.
  1. Principal’s Report (Pedro)
  • Red Cross Healthy Relationships Youth Symposium (2 day workshop happened on the weekend).
  • Day of the Dead displays throughout the school – involves Spanish and French classes.
  • Halloween School Dance – smooth one, students being respectful of the school and building.
  • Oral Quiz – week long for French and Spanish.
  • Boys Soccer are in Provincials; Sr. Girls Volleyball also doing well.
  • Mini School Information night was a success.
  • LIT Festival – each grade ranked books they would like to read. With grant money the top 3 books for each grade were purchased (from KidsBooks) and put in classroom libraries.
  • Remembrance Day – Harjitt Sajjan (Min. of Defence) visited the school and was presented with an aboriginal shirt made for PM Justin Trudeau.
  1. Grant Money given to the following clubs

Photography Club – $800

Lunch Time Drop-in – $300

Music Exchange – $1,000

Grad Committee – $1,500 for Grad Breakfast; $3,000 for Mystery Bus

JO Wrestling Team – $1,000

Student Council – nothing at this time as they receive money from the VSB

Safe Teen – $2,400

Robotics – $2,000

Aboriginal Club – $500

Boy’s Club – $800

There is approximately $6,800 remaining from the Gaming Grant, for proposals in the New Year.

Direct Drive is happening, with deadline of Dec. 2.

All details and link to credit card “Donate Now” button are here http://jo-online.vsb.bc.ca/pac/ and http://us10.campaign-archive2.com/?u=d105fb37c4c7addeb4e84f0b0&id=a9dc77b76c&e=a262de1809 (the MailChimp email that went out to our 85 PAC emails). People can also write cheques. Tax receipts are available if people donate more than $20 and let us know they need a receipt (name, address, phone number). Wishlist items we are hoping to fund are listed at http://jo-online.vsb.bc.ca/pac/john-oliver-wishlist/

  1. UBC Engineering Open House

Saturday, Nov. 26 from 10-4 pm. Register online.

  1. DPAC Chair

Morgane has stepped down as she is running for MLA. This is a strong organization that fights for student and teacher concerns.

Rallies in March 2017 with PAN or FACE (check online at JO PAC). They will upload videos made by parents about different ideas and issues.

  1. Mini School Bingo fundraiser

Coming in the New Year – Thursday, January 26, 2017!

  1. Parent Teacher night

Thursday, December 8

  1. Farrell Segall

Would like to help fund Robotics at JO by giving a $1,000 cheque and then matching donations by students up to another $1,000 until April/May 2017. He is supporting technology in JO and will meet with A. Wong and Pedro to discuss and set up how to get the word out to all the students. If 50 to 100 students each brought in $10 that would be enough!

The meeting was adjourned at 8:00 pm. with the next PAC meeting to be held Wednesday January 18, 2017.

To stay in touch and help learn about/share the happenings at John Oliver, please:

‘like’ the John Oliver Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/John-Oliver-Secondary-School-1081121061932130/?fref=ts ), the Twitter feed (https://twitter.com/jo_school), or (if in Mini) ask to join the Mini School parents FB (https://www.facebook.com/groups/620874101402791/)

You can also check in on the John Oliver PAC blog (http://jo-online.vsb.bc.ca/pac).

 

PAC Meeting Minutes – Oct. 19/16

Present:      Anne Montgomery – PAC Chair, Tracey Santos – Treasurer, Ramandeep Kaurminhas Co-DPAC Rep., Jo-Ann Gordon – Secretary, Pedro de Silva – Principal, and 10 parents

The meeting began at 7:00 p.m.
Approval of minutes from Sept. 21 meeting Sheril Gelmon, seconded by Jo-Ann Gordon.

  1. Presentations by Clubs and Groups for Gaming Grant money:

Photography Club (Michelle Nelson – sponsor teacher) – asking for $1,240
– seed money to make pinhole cameras, graphic design, revenue generating club (50% student/50% club)
– at the end of the school year put on a gallery show

Lunch Time Drop-in (Catherine -sponsor) – asking for $300
– Gr. 8 casual drop-in on Mondays to get to know one another

Music Exchange – (Eric Tsang – sponsor teacher) – asking for $2,000
– Nov. 18-24 23 JO students with 25 Manitoba students
– government pays for airfare and transportation to and from airport
– fundraising for 48 students and 6 chaperones seeing culture of Vancouver, buses and meals
– could put on a concert to raise money

Grad Committee (Sangeeta Kaulder, Richard Edge – sponsors) – asking for $4,500
– Grad Breakfast $1,500 (VSB Catering) Nov. 22/16 – wear PJ’s, eat breakfast, open Gr. 8 letters, etc.
– Dry Grad $3,000 (Mystery Bus tour, assembly, dinner, casino games in gym) – end of June
– fundraising for other money, as well as $2,400 VSB grant
– does not include Prom and Grad ceremony
– suggested that Gr. 11 parents help for Gr. 12’s each year (8 hr. day so shifts would be needed)
– PAC has supported this since 2009

JO Wrestling Team (John Silver – sponsor teacher) – asking for $3,000
– 2 yrs ago top Canadian Champion was at JO
– last year both Gold and Silver winners and top 3 finishers
– goal this year is to send 5 wrestlers to Canada Games to compete
– no coach at JO (Chris Fuoco used to coach and he is now in Delta)
– Chris did all the grant and bursary application writing – need parent or teacher to help with this
– wrestlers train at Tupper and Surrey in the summer – mats are expensive so are shared or borrowed
– limits of the VSB Gaming Grant and so can only fund secondary school championship

Student Council (J. Simmons – sponsor teacher) – asking for $1,000
– put on events to build school spirit (Halloween Dance, Canned Food Drive, Santa Pictures, Spring Fling Dance, etc.)

Safe Teen – (Don – sponsor teacher) – asking for $2,400
– anti-violence program for Gr. 10’s ($325/class for 2 sessions each)

Robotics Competition – (A. Wong – sponsor teacher) – asking for $2,000
– money for 4 starter kits – robots don’t change from year to year, but playing field does
– develop Gr. 8 and 9’s to compete against themselves
– engineering driven and programming
– VEX IQ – age 16 competition cut-off

Aboriginal Club – (D. Wilmann – sponsor teacher) – asking $700
– 41 Aboriginal students at JO
– bridging with an artist – wants to develop the boards in the hallway over the year
– run meetings and share culture – for non-Aboriginal and Aboriginal students

Boys Club – (D. Wilmann – sponsor teacher) – asking $1,000
– result of recognized need of Filipinos coming to school needing a space to find positive experiences and create social/emotional connections
– Constable Freeman comes every Wed.

  1. School Board/Provincial Government update: (Richard Edge co-PAC liaison w/Sangeeta Kauldher)
    – VSTA – Van. Secondary Teacher’s Association
    – VSB fired 9 elected School Trustees; Min. of Education staff member is in the role probably for next 2 yrs.
    – teachers cannot attend Council meetings so must go to committee meetings
    – A meeting was held at the VSB on October 20 to show support for the fired Trustees
    – DPAC will hold a meeting at the VSB on October 27 at 7 pm – public is welcome to attend
    – the first official Trustee meeting will be held on November 7
    – Principal Pedro de Silva assured parents that teachers at JO are creating a good environment for students.

– Parent Advocacy Network (PAN) – To learn more about what is happening with the school board, please check PAN’s website is www.panvancouver.ca
– Any voicemail phone calls to Minister Mike Bernier’s office in the evening will be documented and shared the next day. Please phone (250) 387-1977 with your positive message for a new school to be re-built.

  1. Voting on Funds:
    – Tracey (Treasurer) talked about the Gaming Grant of $20,000 should be used to benefit all JO students.
    – Parents and Executive stayed to vote on distribution of the Gaming Grant.
  1. Mini Bingo Night:
    – Postponed until January, 2017.

The meeting was adjourned at 9:00 pm. with the next PAC meeting to be held Wednesday November 16, 2016.

To stay in touch and help learn about/share the happenings at John Oliver, please:
‘like’ the John Oliver Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/John-Oliver-Secondary-School-1081121061932130/?fref=ts ), the Twitter feed (https://twitter.com/jo_school), or (if in Mini) ask to join the Mini School parents FB (https://www.facebook.com/groups/620874101402791/)

You can also check in on the John Oliver PAC blog (http://jo-online.vsb.bc.ca/pac).

 

 

JO PAC Meeting Minutes – September 21, 2016

  1. Attendance – Principal Pedro DaSilva; Anne Montgomery, Chair; Tracey Santos, Treasurer; Ramandeep Minhas and Suzanne Smythe, DPAC Reps, and over 30 parents.
  2. Motion to accept last meeting’s minutes – Karwal and Tracey
  3. Introduction to the PAC by Anne – the main reasons the PAC operates is to support our children’s education and school experience, to fund teacher and student requests, to volunteer at school events, to fundraise as needed, and to create a community of support for families.
  4. Principal’s Talk – This is Pedro’s first year at JO; he was the Principal of the Vancouver Learning Network for a number of years. Tim McGeer, our previous Principal, was sent to University Hill.
  • The school’s goals this year are literacy and numeracy, social responsibility and Aboriginal Education.
  • Current enrolment stands at 1075 students.
  • There are a number of District programs at JO including: the Special Education classes, Take a Hike, International Student program, and the Mini Digital Immersion program.
  • A number of sports have already started: girls’ volleyball, boys’ soccer and Ultimate Frisbee.
  • There are plans to get better communication via social media, the school’s website and regular emails and newsletters. There is a Google app (free from the app store) called ‘JO Agenda’ that can be used to see what is going on in the school, as well as the WAAG emails (Week At A Glance) that are supposed to be sent out to everyone. Some of us haven’t been receiving these emails; if you haven’t, please talk to Teresa Minato or one of the other office staff.
  1. Treasurer’s Talk – we don’t have exact numbers at the moment but we spent all of our gaming grant funds last term and won’t receive the new grant until October.
  • $5,000 is left in the contingency fund, including $3,000 that was generously donated by Bank of Montreal last year.
  • $30,000 to $40,000 remains in the Legacy Fund that was started by alumni at JO’s 100th anniversary celebrations. This money has been earmarked for use in saving the auditorium if the school is torn down in the future.
  • We will be holding a Direct Drive this year to raise funds; an email will be sent soon.
  1. PAC Business:
  • JO was taken off the school closure list, however, there is still an imbalance between the east side and west side of the city in terms of which schools are up for possible closure (more on the east side) and which schools are on the list for a seismic upgrade (more on the west side). Members of the PAC will be looking into what can be done to convince the VSB and Minister of Education, Mike Bernier, to give more support to east side schools.
  • There will be a VSB meeting at Tupper Secondary on Monday, September 26 at 7pm to discuss the possible school closures. The public is welcome to attend.
  • PAN (Parent Advocacy Network) is a great resource for keeping track of what is going on with our schools. Their website is www.panvancouver.ca
  • The Mini program will be holding a Bingo Night in November.
  • Our next meeting is on October 19 at 7pm. This is when student groups and teachers present their wish lists for donations and we vote on where we think funds will make the biggest impact. Please join us!

JO PAC Meeting – May 25, 2016

JO PAC Meeting – May 25, 2016

Present:  Anne Montgomery – PAC Chair, Tracey Santos – Treasurer, Ramandeep Kaurminhas and Suzanne Smythe – Co-DPAC Reps., Jo-Ann Gordon – Secretary, Paul Thandi (Moberley PAC Chair), Tim McGeer – Principal, and 10 parents

The meeting began at 7:00 p.m.

  1. PAC Elections:

Co-Chair – needed for next year as it will be Anne’s last year at John Oliver

Treasurer – Tracey

Secretary – Jo-Ann

DPAC – Suzanne and Ramandeep

In September there will be a re-structuring to share Chair duties – including teacher liaison, student liaison, email distribution, etc.

  1. Principal’s Announcements: Tim McGeer

New Principal for September 2016 – Tim is being transferred to UHill and Pedro de Silva (currently VLN Principal) will be replacing him.

Dry Grad – happened Wed. May 25 with a Mystery Bus Tour, followed by fun event in gym.

Graduation – June 7th – Chan Centre

5 PAC Scholarships (2 for Mini Students; 1 i/n/o Thomas Harapnuick – past VP) – to be presented by Anne and Ramandeep.

Sr. Girls Softball – won Provincial Championship

Subject Awards Evening – Tues. May 31st – family and students welcome to attend.

Music Concert – June 9th concert with Alumni – tickets are $2.

  1. Update on John Oliver Secondary School – closure or seismic upgrade:

Anne and Suzanne will speak at the June 15th Long Range Facilities meeting on behalf of PAC.

Intention is to have John Oliver back on list for seismic upgrade; to build a right-size new school and use the old building as swing space for other schools.

June 20th – school closure list will be announced.

Henriquez architects have drawn up plans for new John Oliver school (under capacity) to be built along 43 Avenue. Mentioned that the plans should be made public to parents, with “Envision the Future” as slogan.

Any voicemail phone calls to Minister Mike Bernier’s office in the evening will be documented and shared the next day. Please phone (250) 387-1977 with your positive message for a new school to be re-built.

  1. Amateur Radio Club:

Have given John Oliver an HF Unit = emergency radio communication HUB. JO was chosen for its location.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:30 pm. with the next PAC meeting to be held in September 2016.

To stay in touch and help learn about/share the happenings at John Oliver, please:

‘like’ the John Oliver Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/John-Oliver-Secondary-School-1081121061932130/?fref=ts ), the Twitter feed (https://twitter.com/jo_school), or (if in Mini) ask to join the Mini School parents FB (https://www.facebook.com/groups/620874101402791/)

You can also check in on the John Oliver PAC blog (http://jo-online.vsb.bc.ca/pac).

Have a good summer.