Present: Sheril Gelmon, Sukhminder Guru, Ramandeep Kaurminhas – Co-Chairs, Lara Spence – Communications/Social Media, Jo-Ann Gordon, Wendy Sinclair – Co-Secretaries, Sheri Wiwchar, Jennifer West – Co-Fundraising Coordinators, Pedro da Silva – Principal, Joy Jose – Filipino Multicultural Liaison Worker, and 25 parents.
The meeting began at 7:00 pm with parents introducing themselves and sharing what grade(s) their child(ren) are in. Approval of minutes from October 18 meeting by Marjinder Deol and seconded by Monica Moreno.
- Principal’s Report: (Pedro da Silva)
- Trustees are now in place – Joy Alexander is both Chair and Trustee for John Oliver Sec. School
- Thurs. Nov. 23 – report cards go home and Grad Breakfast
- Nov. 29 – Girls basketball tournament begins
- Thurs. Nov. 30 – Parent-Teacher conferences
- Fri. Dec. 1 – Pro-D day
- Tues. Dec. 5 – Winter Concert at 7:00 pm (tickets at the door) – come and hear the choir, the 3 bands and the new R&B student band “24 Carrots”
- Wed. Dec. 6 – “Screenager” film will be shown at JO
- Dec. 6 – Boys basketball tournament begins
- Fri. Dec. 22 – Winter Madness (students and teachers performing)
- Transition Gr. 10, 11 and 12 curriculum next year (Gr. 10 courses are now on new curriculum while Gr. 11 and 12 are delayed)
- Plan 2018 for graduation is now in place
- Planning 10 course is being replaced by Career Education and Grad Transitions (2 new courses)
- Provincial Exams are gone – replaced by Numeracy and Literacy exams (which are only standardized tests) – these can be taken at any time between Gr. 10-12 and as often as students want
- Universities will be taking these two exams into consideration
Parent-Teacher Conferences –
It was mentioned that parents are only allowed to sign up online to meet with max 4 teachers. Mr. Da Silva was going to look into why there is a limit, but it may be to ensure all parents have the opportunity to see teachers.
At another school in September they have a “Walk-about Night” where parents follow their child’s timetable and walk to each class, meeting with the teachers for about 5 minutes each. An appointment is then made to see a teacher if further discussion is wanted. They also have Parent-Teacher Conferences after the first report card.
At JO parents can call or email your child’s counsellor to set up a meeting with any teacher, at any point in the year.
- Treasurer’s report: (Tracey Santos)
No report as Tracey was absent.
Antonella Perri (Van City employee and JO parent) brought in a $250 cheque from donations to John Oliver through Van City. They will go into the regular JO PAC account.
Hallway Health Project – Mr. Da Silva hasn’t heard back from Catherine (sponsor). She does receive Community Service funding, however if the PAC wants to give her requested money as well, that’s up to PAC.
Athletics – Mr. Lee is too busy with Jokers Classic to get back to us about details PAC requested for funds.
- Fundraising: (Sheri Wiwchar, Lara Spence)
Grouse Mtn Ski Pass – nothing was raised this year
Purdy’s Chocolates – $200 raised so far – link is online until the end of the day Wed. Nov. 29, the deadline. Please support this fundraiser by ordering chocolates for Christmas. Chocolates will be available Dec. 14 after school.
Gift card shopping Fundscrip – $173 raised – order online up to $500 maximum value, with a max of 4 physical gift cards in 1 envelope (mail safety reasons). To pay add Fundscrip as bill payment. Instructions are on both JO website and Fundscrip website. It takes about 1.5 weeks for ordered gift cards to arrive in the mail.
- Filipino Multicultural Liaison: (Joy Jose)
Joy is at JO on Tuesdays and Thursdays (she is the liaison for 53 schools). Joy would like JO PAC to reach out to Filipino parents; she mentioned that personal invitation is important to them.
- The Quest Course: (Rebecca Janke)
Rebecca is a parent consultant and registered social worker, who is a facilitator for the Neufeld Institute. The Quest Course is for teenagers about their journey through adolescence. There are 6 rites of passage, which the course covers. There are 2 options for the course, with a 2.5 hr parent workshop preceding the students workshop. Talked about keeping groups of 5-12 teenagers within one grade. Open to both high school and university students. For more information please see Rebecca’s website http://www.rebeccajanke.ca
The meeting was adjourned at 8:15 pm. with the next PAC meeting to be held Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 7:00 pm in the Library.
To stay in touch and help learn about/share the happenings at John Oliver, please: