Present: Anne Montgomery (PAC Chair), Jo-Ann Gordon (Secretary), Suzanne Smythe (Co-DPAC Rep), Pedro de Silva (Principal), Teachers – John Silver, Sangeeta Kauldher (PAC Liaison), James Francom, Jacqui Symons and 7 parents
The meeting began at 7:00 p.m. Approval of minutes from Apr. 19 meeting by Lara Spence and seconded by Antonella Perri.
- Presentations by Clubs and Groups for Gaming Grant money:
There is only $2,000 left in the Gaming Grant, to distribute at the end of the year. Other money in the PAC account was given to scholarships for graduation. Funds were already given to Robotics earlier in the year.
Skills Canada Club (John Silver – sponsor teacher) – asking for $2,200
– 20 students in club (Girls STEM, Shop and Robotics) – money to allow them to enter competitions
– $1,500 each for VEX Robots to enter VEX Robotics Competition; $700 for router and router table to enter cabinet making competition; public speaking and job interview competition;
Creative Writing Club (James Francom -sponsor teacher) – asking for $250
– New Shoots mentorship program has been defunded – for $250 12 students have 10 weeks with a mentor from UBC – some written pieces are published in an anthology
– Int’l Book Day – students entered 100 word short story contest
Student Council (Jaqui Symons – sponsor teacher) – asking for $500
– Team Building (hike and kayak in Deep Cove) June 29 for new and old student council members
– Student Council provides leadership and support to other clubs (ex. Yearbook – distribution party and Grad Committee dances)
– would like to have another Leadership Summit at the end of each year (include finance and leadership for all clubs)
Grad Committee (Sangeeta Kaulder, Richard Edge – sponsors)
– presented a signed Thank You card from 200 grads to PAC for supporting Grad events
Girls Softball Team (Nathan – sponsor) – asking for $500
– won City championships last year and this year – would like to buy jackets for the team
Jr. Lifeskills Program (Eddy – sponsor) – asking for $500
– wanting to build a Sensory Room
– if essential to students learning it should be paid for by the VSB
Exceptional Students Dept/Skills Development Centre – asking for $400
– for supplies – once again if the supplies are essential then should come from school
As a group it was decided to give the remaining Gaming funds to:
Creative Writing – $250
Student Council – $500
Athletics – $750
$500 to be carried over to next year
It was suggested that a notice go out to parents asking any with Grant Writing Skills to come forward, to help with grant writing for various clubs (Athletics, Skills Canada Club, etc.).
- Principal’s Report (Pedro)
- May 23 – Scholarship meeting
- May 24 – Grad tickets to be picked up and Teachers Appreciation Lunch
- June 5 – IDS Expo 8:00 am – 9:00 pm (students display work)
- June 6 – school leaving ceremony at Chan Centre (7:00 pm)
- June 7 – Band final performance (7:00 pm)
- June 12-15 – double blocks for final exams
- June 22 – Awards (1:00-3:00 pm)
- June 23 – Yearbook distribution party
- June 28 – Mini School potluck
- Langara Homestay – high school students – contact Barbara Onstad if interested (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Thank You to Anne Montgomery for being PAC Chair for 3 years and Co-Chair with Farrell Segall for 2 years.
Meeting was adjourned at 8:15 pm.
Have a good summer! Next meeting will be Wednesday Sept. 30 at 7:00 pm.
To stay in touch and help learn about/share the happenings at John Oliver, please:
‘like’ the John Oliver Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/John-Oliver-Secondary-School-1081121061932130/?fref=ts ), the Twitter feed (https://twitter.com/jo_school), or (if in Mini) ask to join the Mini School parents FB (https://www.facebook.com/groups/620874101402791/)
You can also check in on the John Oliver PAC blog (http://jo-online.vsb.bc.ca/pac).