JO PAC Meeting – Sept. 20, 2017

Present:  Anne Montgomery – Past PAC Chair, Tracey Santos – Treasurer, Ramandeep Kaurminhas Co-DPAC Rep., Jo-Ann Gordon – Secretary, Pedro da Silva – Principal, Mr. Francom and 55 parents

The meeting began at 7:00 pm with parents introducing themselves and sharing what grade(s) their child(ren) are in.

  1. Principal’s Report:

Pedro da Silva, Principal – Gr. 8
Lindsay Reynolds, Vice-Principal – Gr. 9 and Gr. 10
Damien Wilmann, Vice-Principal – Gr. 11 and Gr. 12
Teresa Minato – Office Manager
Sengpat – Receptionist

Counsellors – all have one Grade and they share the Gr. 8’s
Mr. R. Edge – Gr. 9 and Gr. 8 (A-C)
Ms. A. Alvares – Gr. 10 and Gr. 8 (D-J)
Ms. S. Birkenhead – Gr. 11 and Gr. 8 (K-P)
Mr. A. Steinruck – Gr. 12 and Gr. 8 (Q-Z)

School Update –

– 1112 enrollment (up about 40 students from last year) – includes 231 Grade 8’s
September 21 – 6:00 pm – Gr. 8 Info Night
September 28 – Terry Fox Run
September 29 – Orange Shirt Day (Aboriginal)
October 4 – Grad BBQ
October 13 – Photo Re-take Day
October 19 – Interim Reports (sent home before first report card)

Fall Sports – season is beginning for Boys Soccer, Girls Volleyball and Cross Country

Communication –

– download “JO Agenda” from App Store or Google Play onto iphone (about 500 students on it so far; would like all 1100 students on it)

– WAGG (week-at-a-glance) – parents weekly agenda – only sent to Primary email for family – if you haven’t received this then contact the office – it means either your email is missing or the Primary email needs to be changed

BC’s New Curriculum – new Gr. 10-12 curriculum will be starting next September 2018 – https://curriculum.gov.bc.ca/

School Plan – need to create a new 3 year school plan
Course Selection –
revisit the course selection process – more guidance will be given to students next year
District –
revamping school websites (much needed)
Report Cards –
how we report grades to school is changing
Long Term Facilities Plan –
JO need to be seismically upgraded or brand new school
Teacher shortage –
JO still needs to hire 3 teaching positions (District has hired over 400 additional teachers this year)

Check out more information on website – jo-online.vsb.bc.ca

  1. PAC Meetings: (Jo-Ann Gordon)

Dates for the 7 PAC meetings are –
Sept. 20, Oct. 18, Nov. 22, Jan. 17, Feb. 21, Apr. 18, May 23 (last meeting)

No meetings in December 2017, March 2018, or June 2018

Lara is arranging for guest speakers for each meeting, on relevant topics to build our knowledge of John Oliver clubs, departments (music, athletics, etc.) and parenting issues/concerns/skills.

  1. Treasurer’s report: (Tracey Santos)

There is about $4,000 carried forward in the Gaming Account from last year. Every April apply for grant, which is received in October the same year. It will be approximately $22,000 this year. Gaming Account covers 1/3 of the money needed to run clubs, sports and music in the school. Fundraising by the PAC is needed for the shortfall.

Legacy Account (from 100 year anniversary) has about $15,000, which is being saved for when the new school is built. A scholarship comes out of the account.

Consultative Committee Account (from fundraising, group donations) has about $6,600 – money for Teachers’ lunch, and other requests if we run out of Gaming Account funds.

  1. Voting for PAC positions:

PAC Co-Chairs – Ramandeep Kaurminhas, Sheril Gelmon and Sukhminder Guru
Co-Secretaries – Jo-Ann Gordon and Wendy Sinclair
Treasurer – Tracey Santos
Co-Fundraising Coordinators – Jennifer West and Sheri Wiwchar
Communications/Social Media – Lara Spence
DPAC Rep/Advocacy – volunteer(s) needed – District PAC Representative to attend meetings (up to 2/month) – at the VSB Broadway & Fir building (7pm)
DPAC Liaison – Anne Montgomery

  1. DPAC: (Anne Montgomery)

DPAC is hosting a forum for Trustee candidates on Tuesday Oct. 3 at 6:00 pm at John Oliver Sec. school (volunteers needed to help). If interested contact annemontgomery@yahoo.com. Thursday Oct. 14 new Trustees are voted in. Here is a link for more information –

http://vancouver.ca/your-government/candidate-profiles.aspx

  1. Maker Mobile:

Farrell Segall’s Maker Mobile was vandalised this summer. Donations are needed to re-build it.

Click here to support Repair and Restore MakerMobile organized by Farrell Segall

The meeting was adjourned at 8:00 pm. with the next PAC meeting to be held Wednesday October 18, 2017 at 7pm in the Library. Clubs and Teachers will present requests for funds from the Gaming Grant. Parents will vote afterwards. Depending on the number of presentations, this meeting may go until 9pm.

To stay in touch and help learn about/share the happenings at John Oliver, please:

‘like’ the John Oliver Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/John-Oliver-Secondary-School-1081121061932130/?fref=ts ), the Twitter feed (https://twitter.com/jo_school), or (if in Mini) ask to join the Mini School parents FB (https://www.facebook.com/groups/620874101402791/)

You can also check in on the John Oliver PAC blog (http://jo-online.vsb.bc.ca/pac).

Staff/School Speakers for PAC Meetings – ideas!

We want to invite JO Staff/Expert speakers to our meetings for quick 5-minute presentations on things parents are interested in, so we can be more informed about JO and ensure our kids have a great experience!  They can present in first 15 mins or come at 7:45pm for the end of the meeting.

What topics would you be curious about?  Here are 8 ideas we are thinking of – add your own ideas in comments, or let us know your favourite!

In no particular order:

  1. Pat Lee – athletics update, vibe of school athletics, teams to watch, what’s in which season, where PAC money goes and has gone, Athletics website, how to share info on athletics to the school and “fan” community
  2. A counsellor – their pick of topic: things we should be most aware of – or maybe two parenting “things” we can do to ensure our teens are the best they can be
  3. A different counsellor – Screen time – Phones and Computers in Kid’s Rooms – daily recommendations, weekends, what time of day permitted (and when never)
  4. Multicultural Rep: New to Canada? Helping Children New to Canada in their first years.
  5. Eric Tsang or his PR/Social Media student – Music program update, what they need from PAC
  6. Jeff Spence or John Silver – STEM at JO, what it is, how to apply, who should be part of it, who won’t thrive
  7. Shop Teacher (Chris Lee or other?) – Red Seal Apprentice program and other apprentice programs available at JO
  8. Jacqui Symons – Student Council – update on purpose, composition, goals, benefits, progress of student council

Let us know your thoughts!

JO PAC Sept 20 Meeting + Agenda

We acknowledge that we will be meeting on the ancestral, traditional and unceded Indigenous territories of the Squamish, Musqueam and Tsleil-Waututh First Nations.

It’s the first meeting of the year for JO Parents! All parents and guardians of JO students are encouraged to attend!

Meet the Principal, hear about clubs+music+opportunities, connect with other parents interested in providing voice and energy to build a best-ever JO school community.

Agenda:

  1. 7pm (please be on time!) Welcome to the new year! We will go around the room quickly to get everyone’s name, child’s grade, mention your child’s former elementary, if you had kids at any other high school, your current role with the JO PAC if you have one, and one reason why you’re here tonight!
  2. Principal’s report
  3. Upcoming year’s PAC meeting dates – there’s only 7! 3rd Wed – Oct. 18, Nov. 22, Jan. 17, Feb. 21 (no meeting March), April 18, May 23 – final meeting – Jo-Ann – also outlining Secretary role and what’s involved.
  4. Financial update – Tracey – how much $ we have, lottery money received, typical income / expenses of the PAC, how we decide on funds to give to clubs/projects – Note we will have clubs + staff make requests for funding in October and the PAC will vote. The Treasurer will then prepare the budget for voting approval in November.
  5. Vote on new Executive members, Discussion of Team Roles – we need a few new folks (or co-teams) to officially step up especially “PAC Meeting Chair+School Liaison”  (we have to vote this one) and “Fundraising Idea Management + Planning”. Note we have Treasurer + Secretary candidates willing to stand (Tracey and Jo-Ann respectively). Our 2014-2017 PAC Chair Anne Montgomery “graduated” with her son as of June 2017 (she will be at Sept 20 2017 meeting). Note that we have some parents willing to take on roles as Communications/Social Media person, DPAC Rep but are happy to trade and/or have help! Before the vote, we will discuss how your interests possibly align with some tasks that will help the team!
  6. DPAC report – Anne Montgomery – upcoming DPAC meetings: Sept 28 General Meeting (Topic – PAC 101), Oct 3 All Candidates meeting (VSB Trustees) (see vancouverdpac.org)
  7. Quick info / issue concern gathering on things to mention to DPAC on JO’s behalf at upcoming VSB Trustee vote – Anne
  8. Update on Farrell’s (former JO PAC Chair, STEM supporter) Maker Mobile
  9. Sharing PAC information – Communications update – Lara + Tracey – ideas on how to get the word out to all parents at JO. FB, Twitter, MailChimp, website. Are there ethnic communities that we are not reaching? Why or why not? Do you prefer Synervoice ‘voice’ or email?
  10. Guests at future PAC meetings – Lara – has idea of 7 guest speakers
  11. Fundraising – Lara – gift card fundraiser, t-shirt idea
  12. New business. Bring your ideas!

Note that PACs are not intended for “fundraising” – they are intended to provide parents with the opportunity to gain greater understanding of the school; to give parents opportunity to provide input into school- based decisions; to provide a setting for educating parents; to unify efforts of the school community towards the goal of quality education; to advocate equal educational opportunities for all students! (and more) *how’s that for noble?!? 🙂

We respect your time and will always attempt to be done by 8pm/8:15pm.

Ideas for ‘guests’ for Oct, Nov, Jan meetings to help us learn more about JO (eg., Student Council teacher sponsor, Counsellors (with top issues parents can help with), Athletics, Music, Take a Hike (40 kids in program), STEM (120 kids in program) – send your ideas / questions too!

We will post minutes after the meeting on the PAC website and on FB.

Email pac_jo@vsb.bc.ca with questions or comment here.

With thanks and enthusiasm for a great new year!

SHARE with any JO parents of Grade 8 students!! (and new parents and parents you think may not follow JO on FB!)

What Type of Help Do We Need?

At a mini-pre-PAC meeting Sept 13, 2017, some parents were wondering about roles to be covered, so they could visualize themselves as part of the team! Note – this year there will be 7 meetings only – plus one fun contributor party in June!

Here is our role breakdown:  *in process* *please ask questions!*

PAC Chair/Co-Chair – ** seeking volunteers!

  • attend PAC meetings
  • time keep at PAC meetings so no one speaker goes over/occupies too much of the 70 minute meeting
  • speaks 2x a month (or less if less needed!) with the principal and head administrator of JO to ensure flow of communications
  • reply in a timely manner to all PAC Exec member emails (within 2 days if possible) so committee work can flow

Secretary – incumbent: Jo-Ann Gordon

  • attend each meeting, taking notes / Exec attendance, providing written summary and post to JO PAC website
  • if edits needed, making edits to minutes on JO PAC website
  • reply in a timely manner to all PAC Exec member emails (within 2 days if possible) so committee work can flow

Treasurer – incumbent: Tracey Santos

  • apply for BC Lotteries grant each June
  • prepare documentation/bookkeeping reports for proper standing in BC Associations + DPAC
  • write cheques for DPAC to maintain our standing
  • monitor PAC bank account
  • provide leadership in distribution of funds raised to clubs, departments asking for $ from PAC
  • provide short update at each meeting (can email or text report in!) – eg., available un-allocated funds, funds raised.
  • reply in a timely manner to all PAC Exec member emails (within 2 days if possible) so committee work can flow

DPAC Rep/Advocacy – incumbent: Anne Montgomery

  • provide report each meeting (can be emailed in) on advocacy areas
  • as requested by DPAC, solicit JO PAC opinions
  • share information to parents on where to find out more about how governments fund public education
  • attend DPAC events

Fundraising Coordinator – ** seeking volunteers!

  • evaluate (keep/toss/file) fundraising ideas in keeping with our brand, school goals/vibe
  • administer programs and get proper info to communications during fundraising efforts/campaigns
  • provide short update at each meeting (can email or text report in!)

Communications/Social Media – incumbent: Lara Spence

  • send reminders about PAC meetings to MailChimp list, and (week before) to Teresa M (head JO secretary) so info can go out on Synervoice (give on the Thursday before; Synervoice email goes Fri; Synervoice voicemail goes Sunday
  • update JO PAC website (WordPress)
  • update JO PAC Facebook and Twitter as appropriate, to build community, further growing amazing reputation of JO as arts, academic, athletic, diversity, community and spirit “go to school” in Vancouver
  • reply to people if they send notes in via FB/Tw
  • maintain MailChimp list (try to grow it)
  • provide thoughtful input to all committees asking for help, and provide timely replies (within 2 days) to PAC Exec emails so committee work can flow.

School Clubs Liaison

School Music Liaison

 

John Oliver PAC Meeting Minutes – May 17, 2017

Present:   Anne Montgomery (PAC Chair), Jo-Ann Gordon (Secretary), Suzanne Smythe (Co-DPAC Rep), Pedro de Silva (Principal), Teachers – John Silver, Sangeeta Kauldher (PAC Liaison), James Francom, Jacqui Symons and 7 parents

The meeting began at 7:00 p.m. Approval of minutes from Apr. 19 meeting by Lara Spence and seconded by Antonella Perri.

  1. Presentations by Clubs and Groups for Gaming Grant money:

There is only $2,000 left in the Gaming Grant, to distribute at the end of the year. Other money in the PAC account was given to scholarships for graduation. Funds were already given to Robotics earlier in the year.

Skills Canada Club (John Silver – sponsor teacher) – asking for $2,200

– 20 students in club (Girls STEM, Shop and Robotics) – money to allow them to enter competitions

– $1,500 each for VEX Robots to enter VEX Robotics Competition; $700 for router and router table to enter cabinet making competition; public speaking and job interview competition;

Creative Writing Club (James Francom -sponsor teacher) – asking for $250

– New Shoots mentorship program has been defunded – for $250 12 students have 10 weeks with a mentor from UBC – some written pieces are published in an anthology

– Int’l Book Day – students entered 100 word short story contest

Student Council (Jaqui Symons – sponsor teacher) – asking for $500

– Team Building (hike and kayak in Deep Cove) June 29 for new and old student council members

– Student Council provides leadership and support to other clubs (ex. Yearbook – distribution party and Grad Committee dances)

– would like to have another Leadership Summit at the end of each year (include finance and leadership for all clubs)

Grad Committee (Sangeeta Kaulder, Richard Edge – sponsors)

– presented a signed Thank You card from 200 grads to PAC for supporting Grad events

Girls Softball Team (Nathan – sponsor) – asking for $500

– won City championships last year and this year – would like to buy jackets for the team

Jr. Lifeskills Program (Eddy – sponsor) – asking for $500

– wanting to build a Sensory Room

– if essential to students learning it should be paid for by the VSB

Exceptional Students Dept/Skills Development Centre – asking for $400

– for supplies – once again if the supplies are essential then should come from school

As a group it was decided to give the remaining Gaming funds to:

Creative Writing – $250

Student Council – $500

Athletics – $750

$500 to be carried over to next year

It was suggested that a notice go out to parents asking any with Grant Writing Skills to come forward, to help with grant writing for various clubs (Athletics, Skills Canada Club, etc.).

  1. Principal’s Report (Pedro)
  • May 23 – Scholarship meeting
  • May 24 – Grad tickets to be picked up and Teachers Appreciation Lunch
  • June 5 – IDS Expo 8:00 am – 9:00 pm (students display work)
  • June 6 – school leaving ceremony at Chan Centre (7:00 pm)
  • June 7 – Band final performance (7:00 pm)
  • June 12-15 – double blocks for final exams
  • June 22 – Awards (1:00-3:00 pm)
  • June 23 – Yearbook distribution party
  • June 28 – Mini School potluck
  • Langara Homestay – high school students – contact Barbara Onstad if interested (homestay@langara.ca)
  • Thank You to Anne Montgomery for being PAC Chair for 3 years and Co-Chair with Farrell Segall for 2 years.

Meeting was adjourned at 8:15 pm.

Have a good summer! Next meeting will be Wednesday Sept. 30 at 7:00 pm.

To stay in touch and help learn about/share the happenings at John Oliver, please:

‘like’ the John Oliver Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/John-Oliver-Secondary-School-1081121061932130/?fref=ts ), the Twitter feed (https://twitter.com/jo_school), or (if in Mini) ask to join the Mini School parents FB (https://www.facebook.com/groups/620874101402791/)

You can also check in on the John Oliver PAC blog (http://jo-online.vsb.bc.ca/pac).

 

John Oliver PAC Meeting – April 19, 2017

Present:  Anne Montgomery (PAC Chair), Jo-Ann Gordon (Secretary), Tracey Santos (Treasurer), Ramandeep Kaurminhas (Co-DPAC Rep), Pedro de Silva (Principal), Sangeeta Kauldher (Teacher), Farrell Segall (Past PAC Chair) and 12 parents

The meeting began at 7:00 p.m. Approval of minutes from Feb. 15 meeting by Majinder Deol and seconded by Jo-Ann Gordon.

  1. Principal’s Report (Pedro)
  • course selection – sent home with students, for parents to see as well
  • Indoor Track Meet – March 31 – was a great success and a lot of fun
  • incoming Gr. 7’s – JO Principal and VP meet with Elementary school teachers at their schools, to better know the students (academically, socially, financially) who will be coming to JO in the fall – helping them transition to high school
  • Aboriginal night was held at Templeton – JO participated
  • Mini School on field trip this week
  • After school – Mon. & Wed. Mentor Club – all students welcome – help with homework; Fri. ELL Club; Tues. & Thurs. Math & Science tutors [older students and teachers are on hand to help]
  • additional staffing of teachers will happen for the fall
  • Code of Conduct review – common expectations in classroom and in school – feedback from some parents is welcome [JOKERS is the old code of conduct]
  • May 10 – Dry Grad for all Gr. 12’s
  • May 11 – School Dance for all grades
  • June 6 – School Leaving ceremony at the Chan Centre
  • June 16 – Gr. 12 Prom Night
  1. Treasurer’s Report (Tracey)

Account has a total of $8,351.48, some of which will be carried over to next year. The balance needs to be given out. Teachers have until May 3 to email Anne Montgomery with requests, otherwise funds will go to Music and Athletics.

Direct Drive – Chimp program to be set up for the fall (easier to read and donate; receive a thank you and tax receipt right away).

In the September student mail out, will add form to sign up to be included in PAC emails and the Direct Drive letter.

  1. Farrell Segall (Past PAC Chair)

Will match donations to the Robotics program. Pedro to send out information to parents/students about how to donate.

Vancouver Maker Faire – Sunday June 11 – PNE Forum 2pm.

All students get in free. Farrell is offering $250, $150 and $100 cash prizes for innovative ideas. Deadline is June 4th. Website is www.makerfaire.ca and for information/submit entries: nifty2017@toptekkies.com

  1. Chair’s Report (Anne)

SACY – support for parents. Will be holding May and June workshops. Check website www.vsb.bc.ca/sacy for more information.

Committee of the Whole – Suzanne and Anne attended. More money needs to be put into education as programs and positions are still being cut. A letter will be circulated to JO parents to sign and send to their MLA’s and Premier.

DPAC – MLA candidates will meet Tues. Apr. 25 (6:30-8:30 pm) at the VSB Main office on Broadway.

Gordon Neufeld Workshop – Fri. Apr. 28 and Sat. Apr. 29 “Raising Resilient Children”. For information check out www.neufeldinstitute.org

Mini School Fundraising – magazine subscriptions to be sent out by Lara in the next week or so.

Talked about Poinsettias and Purdy’s as suggestions for whole school fundraisers for next year.

PAC Scholarships – six $500 scholarships (1T. Harpiniuk, 2 Mini School, 3 Regular). Criteria is listed on JO website. Pursuing further post-secondary education to be added to criteria for the Regular ones. Teachers and Principal make the decisions.

  1. Graduating Class of 2017

Parent Volunteers (preferably non-Gr. 12 parents) are needed for Dry Grad night Wed. May 10 (5-9 pm) in 2hr shifts. Please contact Miss Kauldher skauldher@johnoliver.ca if you can help.

  1. Teacher’s Appreciation Lunch

Wed. May 24. Please consider volunteering to help PAC with set up and clean up on that day (11-1 pm). As well food and donations are gratefully accepted. A number of prizes are given to teachers randomly (gift certificates, etc.). Please contact Anne annemontgomery@yahoo.com or Tracey tsknit@gmail.com if you can help with prizes, contacting restaurants, setting up, etc.

Meeting was adjourned at 8:10 pm. Final PAC meeting will be Wed. May 17 (7-8 pm). Discussions for PAC positions, and final disbursing of funds will be on the agenda.

To stay in touch and help learn about/share the happenings at John Oliver, please:

‘like’ the John Oliver Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/John-Oliver-Secondary-School-1081121061932130/?fref=ts ), the Twitter feed (https://twitter.com/jo_school), or (if in Mini) ask to join the Mini School parents FB (https://www.facebook.com/groups/620874101402791/)

You can also check in on the John Oliver PAC blog (http://jo-online.vsb.bc.ca/pac).

John Oliver PAC Meeting – Feb. 15, 2017

Present:    Anne Montgomery (PAC Chair), Jo-Ann Gordon (Secretary), Tracey Santos (Treasurer), Pedro de Silva (Principal), Lindsay Reynolds (Vice-Principal) and 4 parents

The meeting began at 7:00 p.m.  Approval of minutes from Jan. 25 meeting by Tracey Santos and seconded by Jo-Ann Gordon.

  1. Principal’s Report (Pedro)
  • 7 Stories is being performed by Drama Feb. 20, 21, 22 and 23 at 7:00 pm.
  • Green Thumb will be performing a play “Alone Together” on Friday March 10th.
  • 5 yr Strategic Plan will be posted on JO website.
  • Staffing – based on new curriculum and changes in class size, there may delay in course selection in September.
  • Introducing Lindsay Reynolds, new VP
  • STEM – career day happened with Science World
  • Riverdale – filmed episode 13 and will continue at JO – 2 main areas being used are the Cafeteria and small gym.
    Death Note – may come and do a re-shoot this March.
  1. Treasurer’s Report (Tracey)

Bingo Night (Jan 26) raised $722.55 for PAC.
VanCity $500 donation was added to Account bringing total to $8,351.48.
Money from this account will be used for Teacher’s Lunch, 6 year-end Scholarships and perhaps Athletics; with surplus carried over to next year.

  1. Bingo Night

Turnout was good, as well as prizes. Noticed that the crowd was mainly caucasian. Next year perhaps approach the Filipino or Indian groups to have something within their communities included in the school as a fundraiser, or to offer something different to attract more parents from the whole school.

  1. DPAC – Two surveys:
  1. Lord Roberts – seismic upgrade
  2. Questions to Mike Bernier:
  • Why are there so many CP days (20 in the year) in high school?
  • When will money be there for school to hire teachers for accommodating smaller classes.
  • Better drug education needs to be developed and implemented in high schools.
  • Students graduate with too little education. When will post-secondary counsellors be re-attached to every high school, and not 1 counsellor for 4 or more high schools?
  • Will more funding be made available for electives so more classes that are popular but do not meet 30 student minimum, can be run?
  1. Graduating Class of 2017

There are 220 grads this year. Wanting to ensure cost is not an issue for students to attend all the planned activities. Grad photos too expensive from Mountain West photography and so contracts will be re-visited for next year.

  1. Teacher’s Lunch

Friday April 28, 2017. Please consider volunteering to help PAC with set up and clean up on that day. As well food donations gratefully accepted. Please contact Anne annemontgomery@yahoo.com or Tracey tsknit@gmail.com

  1. Richard Edge
  • ELL – team teaching in skills centre, so more effective with reaching students and completing work.
  • BC select standing committee on finance and government services. A provincial sub-committee (non partisan) wanting to restore learning and teaching conditions to previous levels. Parents can check out https://bctf.ca/parents.aspx for more information.

Meeting was adjourned at 8:10 pm. Next meeting to be held Wednesday April 12 after spring break.

To stay in touch and help learn about/share the happenings at John Oliver, please:

‘like’ the John Oliver Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/John-Oliver-Secondary-School-1081121061932130/?fref=ts ), the Twitter feed (https://twitter.com/jo_school), or (if in Mini) ask to join the Mini School parents FB (https://www.facebook.com/groups/620874101402791/)

You can also check in on the John Oliver PAC blog (http://jo-online.vsb.bc.ca/pac).

 

John Oliver PAC Meeting Minutes – Jan. 25, 2017

Welcome back!

Attendance: Anne Montgomery, PAC Chair, Tracey Santos, Treasurer, Ramandeep Minhas and Suzanne Smythe, DPC Representatives, Pedro DaSilva, Principal, Richard Edge, School Counsellor, Roma Mehta, Sacy Representative; 8 parents

Last month’s minutes were accepted and seconded.

  1. Sacy – Roma Mehta from Sacy (School Age Children and Youth) came to remind us that Sacy is there to support parents and students by offering workshops (there is an upcoming Capacity Café at JO where students can tell parents what school and teenage hood is like for them) and meeting one-on-one with students and parents.

– in April there will be the workshop ‘Building Bridges With Your Teen’.

– there is a youth support worker at JO – Kelly – and kids don’t need a referral to see her.

– Feb 8 & 9, there will be a health fair at the school for kids, and there is a wellness club at lunch time during the week.

– STEP – Sacy Teen Engagement Program – Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays every week; kids talk about adolescent development.

  1. Richard Edge spoke of the $44 million that the VSB will be receiving from the government. Schools will present requests for “areas of need” in order to get money. JO is hoping to get 2 full-time positions filled, which will help lower the teacher to student ratio for some classes.
  1. Pedro’s Report – The Human Library was held this past week and was very successful in engaging students. People were invited to come and share in their area of expertise, with a focus on the STEM programs.

– Canadian Films were also offered this week after exams.

– it’s time to look at course selection for next year so talk to your kids; they can start choosing courses next week.

– staff changes: Shannon (Vice Principal) was transferred to Kits High, and was replaced by Lindsay Reynolds.

– BC new curriculum – the Grade10/11 curriculum has been delayed for another year although core classes have already started moving towards the new curriculum; there will be no further exams except for Language Arts 12.

  1. Treasurer’s Report – after paying out over $11,000 for teacher/student requests, we are left with just over $9,000 in our gaming account. We expect to have more requests given to the PAC over the next couple of months.

– the Direct Drive wasn’t as successful as hoped, bringing in just over $900. Sheril suggested we keep sending out the request and Anne suggested we try and get it translated into other languages. Anne will ask the Tupper PAC what they think made their DD successful?

– Pedro suggested a couple of fundraising ideas: offer plaques on the back of the auditorium chairs for donations of $100 and over (this would be a great idea for the new build, in order to raise funds to keep the auditorium), or have alumni years start a competition to raise the most money for the Direct Drive, and the year that raises the most can have a plaque and their year’s grad photos put up by the office.

  1. The Mini school held it’s 2nd Bingo fundraiser on January 26 and it was a fun and successful evening, bringing in around $700 for the Mini school. A big thanks to all who donated prizes and snacks, and who bought tickets and played. The big winner of the night was a neighbour from the community who won a tablet!
  1. Tracey suggested we revisit the idea of a fall fair for late September or early October. We’ll talk to Jeff Spence since he had wanted to do a fair, and see if a concrete plan can be developed before the end of the spring semester.
  2. The Drama Department is presenting Morris Panych’s ‘7 Stories’ in the JO Auditorium, February 20, 21, 22 and 23. Door open at 6pm, show starts at 7pm. Tickets are $10 and can be purchased from students, at the office or at the door. Come out and support the Drama students!

Meeting adjourned at 8pm; next PAC meeting set for Wednesday, February 15 at 7pm.

 

JO PAC Meeting – Nov. 16, 2016

Present:         Anne Montgomery – PAC Chair, Jo-Ann Gordon – Secretary, Farrell Segall (past PAC Chair), Pedro de Silva – Principal, and 9 parents

The meeting began at 7:00 p.m. Approval of minutes from Oct. 19 meeting by Kanwal Deol and seconded by Majinder Deol.

  1. Presentation by Eastside Fitness (Wendy – co-owner)
  • Located on Fraser Street across from the school – offers personal training, yoga, zumba and other classes; teenagers are welcome to any class $5.00 (waiver signed once), Teen Girls class offered too
  • Free Month Pass for silent auction and Free Class cards.
  • Space is available for rent for parties or community gatherings.
  • Dance Co. bought the building and are upstairs.
  1. Principal’s Report (Pedro)
  • Red Cross Healthy Relationships Youth Symposium (2 day workshop happened on the weekend).
  • Day of the Dead displays throughout the school – involves Spanish and French classes.
  • Halloween School Dance – smooth one, students being respectful of the school and building.
  • Oral Quiz – week long for French and Spanish.
  • Boys Soccer are in Provincials; Sr. Girls Volleyball also doing well.
  • Mini School Information night was a success.
  • LIT Festival – each grade ranked books they would like to read. With grant money the top 3 books for each grade were purchased (from KidsBooks) and put in classroom libraries.
  • Remembrance Day – Harjitt Sajjan (Min. of Defence) visited the school and was presented with an aboriginal shirt made for PM Justin Trudeau.
  1. Grant Money given to the following clubs

Photography Club – $800

Lunch Time Drop-in – $300

Music Exchange – $1,000

Grad Committee – $1,500 for Grad Breakfast; $3,000 for Mystery Bus

JO Wrestling Team – $1,000

Student Council – nothing at this time as they receive money from the VSB

Safe Teen – $2,400

Robotics – $2,000

Aboriginal Club – $500

Boy’s Club – $800

There is approximately $6,800 remaining from the Gaming Grant, for proposals in the New Year.

Direct Drive is happening, with deadline of Dec. 2.

All details and link to credit card “Donate Now” button are here http://jo-online.vsb.bc.ca/pac/ and http://us10.campaign-archive2.com/?u=d105fb37c4c7addeb4e84f0b0&id=a9dc77b76c&e=a262de1809 (the MailChimp email that went out to our 85 PAC emails). People can also write cheques. Tax receipts are available if people donate more than $20 and let us know they need a receipt (name, address, phone number). Wishlist items we are hoping to fund are listed at http://jo-online.vsb.bc.ca/pac/john-oliver-wishlist/

  1. UBC Engineering Open House

Saturday, Nov. 26 from 10-4 pm. Register online.

  1. DPAC Chair

Morgane has stepped down as she is running for MLA. This is a strong organization that fights for student and teacher concerns.

Rallies in March 2017 with PAN or FACE (check online at JO PAC). They will upload videos made by parents about different ideas and issues.

  1. Mini School Bingo fundraiser

Coming in the New Year – Thursday, January 26, 2017!

  1. Parent Teacher night

Thursday, December 8

  1. Farrell Segall

Would like to help fund Robotics at JO by giving a $1,000 cheque and then matching donations by students up to another $1,000 until April/May 2017. He is supporting technology in JO and will meet with A. Wong and Pedro to discuss and set up how to get the word out to all the students. If 50 to 100 students each brought in $10 that would be enough!

The meeting was adjourned at 8:00 pm. with the next PAC meeting to be held Wednesday January 18, 2017.

To stay in touch and help learn about/share the happenings at John Oliver, please:

‘like’ the John Oliver Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/John-Oliver-Secondary-School-1081121061932130/?fref=ts ), the Twitter feed (https://twitter.com/jo_school), or (if in Mini) ask to join the Mini School parents FB (https://www.facebook.com/groups/620874101402791/)

You can also check in on the John Oliver PAC blog (http://jo-online.vsb.bc.ca/pac).