Present: Anne Montgomery – PAC Chair, Jo-Ann Gordon – Secretary, Farrell Segall (past PAC Chair), Pedro de Silva – Principal, and 9 parents
The meeting began at 7:00 p.m. Approval of minutes from Oct. 19 meeting by Kanwal Deol and seconded by Majinder Deol.
- Presentation by Eastside Fitness (Wendy – co-owner)
- Located on Fraser Street across from the school – offers personal training, yoga, zumba and other classes; teenagers are welcome to any class $5.00 (waiver signed once), Teen Girls class offered too
- Free Month Pass for silent auction and Free Class cards.
- Space is available for rent for parties or community gatherings.
- Dance Co. bought the building and are upstairs.
- Principal’s Report (Pedro)
- Red Cross Healthy Relationships Youth Symposium (2 day workshop happened on the weekend).
- Day of the Dead displays throughout the school – involves Spanish and French classes.
- Halloween School Dance – smooth one, students being respectful of the school and building.
- Oral Quiz – week long for French and Spanish.
- Boys Soccer are in Provincials; Sr. Girls Volleyball also doing well.
- Mini School Information night was a success.
- LIT Festival – each grade ranked books they would like to read. With grant money the top 3 books for each grade were purchased (from KidsBooks) and put in classroom libraries.
- Remembrance Day – Harjitt Sajjan (Min. of Defence) visited the school and was presented with an aboriginal shirt made for PM Justin Trudeau.
- Grant Money given to the following clubs
Photography Club – $800
Lunch Time Drop-in – $300
Music Exchange – $1,000
Grad Committee – $1,500 for Grad Breakfast; $3,000 for Mystery Bus
JO Wrestling Team – $1,000
Student Council – nothing at this time as they receive money from the VSB
Safe Teen – $2,400
Robotics – $2,000
Aboriginal Club – $500
Boy’s Club – $800
There is approximately $6,800 remaining from the Gaming Grant, for proposals in the New Year.
Direct Drive is happening, with deadline of Dec. 2.
All details and link to credit card “Donate Now” button are here http://jo-online.vsb.bc.ca/pac/ and http://us10.campaign-archive2.com/?u=d105fb37c4c7addeb4e84f0b0&id=a9dc77b76c&e=a262de1809 (the MailChimp email that went out to our 85 PAC emails). People can also write cheques. Tax receipts are available if people donate more than $20 and let us know they need a receipt (name, address, phone number). Wishlist items we are hoping to fund are listed at http://jo-online.vsb.bc.ca/pac/john-oliver-wishlist/
- UBC Engineering Open House
Saturday, Nov. 26 from 10-4 pm. Register online.
- DPAC Chair
Morgane has stepped down as she is running for MLA. This is a strong organization that fights for student and teacher concerns.
Rallies in March 2017 with PAN or FACE (check online at JO PAC). They will upload videos made by parents about different ideas and issues.
- Mini School Bingo fundraiser
Coming in the New Year – Thursday, January 26, 2017!
- Parent Teacher night
Thursday, December 8
- Farrell Segall
Would like to help fund Robotics at JO by giving a $1,000 cheque and then matching donations by students up to another $1,000 until April/May 2017. He is supporting technology in JO and will meet with A. Wong and Pedro to discuss and set up how to get the word out to all the students. If 50 to 100 students each brought in $10 that would be enough!
The meeting was adjourned at 8:00 pm. with the next PAC meeting to be held Wednesday January 18, 2017.
To stay in touch and help learn about/share the happenings at John Oliver, please:
‘like’ the John Oliver Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/John-Oliver-Secondary-School-1081121061932130/?fref=ts ), the Twitter feed (https://twitter.com/jo_school), or (if in Mini) ask to join the Mini School parents FB (https://www.facebook.com/groups/620874101402791/)
You can also check in on the John Oliver PAC blog (http://jo-online.vsb.bc.ca/pac).