Present: Anne Montgomery – PAC Chair, Tracey Santos – Treasurer, Ramandeep Kaurminhas Co-DPAC Rep., Jo-Ann Gordon – Secretary, Pedro de Silva – Principal, and 10 parents
The meeting began at 7:00 p.m.
Approval of minutes from Sept. 21 meeting Sheril Gelmon, seconded by Jo-Ann Gordon.
- Presentations by Clubs and Groups for Gaming Grant money:
Photography Club (Michelle Nelson – sponsor teacher) – asking for $1,240
– seed money to make pinhole cameras, graphic design, revenue generating club (50% student/50% club)
– at the end of the school year put on a gallery show
Lunch Time Drop-in (Catherine -sponsor) – asking for $300
– Gr. 8 casual drop-in on Mondays to get to know one another
Music Exchange – (Eric Tsang – sponsor teacher) – asking for $2,000
– Nov. 18-24 23 JO students with 25 Manitoba students
– government pays for airfare and transportation to and from airport
– fundraising for 48 students and 6 chaperones seeing culture of Vancouver, buses and meals
– could put on a concert to raise money
Grad Committee (Sangeeta Kaulder, Richard Edge – sponsors) – asking for $4,500
– Grad Breakfast $1,500 (VSB Catering) Nov. 22/16 – wear PJ’s, eat breakfast, open Gr. 8 letters, etc.
– Dry Grad $3,000 (Mystery Bus tour, assembly, dinner, casino games in gym) – end of June
– fundraising for other money, as well as $2,400 VSB grant
– does not include Prom and Grad ceremony
– suggested that Gr. 11 parents help for Gr. 12’s each year (8 hr. day so shifts would be needed)
– PAC has supported this since 2009
JO Wrestling Team (John Silver – sponsor teacher) – asking for $3,000
– 2 yrs ago top Canadian Champion was at JO
– last year both Gold and Silver winners and top 3 finishers
– goal this year is to send 5 wrestlers to Canada Games to compete
– no coach at JO (Chris Fuoco used to coach and he is now in Delta)
– Chris did all the grant and bursary application writing – need parent or teacher to help with this
– wrestlers train at Tupper and Surrey in the summer – mats are expensive so are shared or borrowed
– limits of the VSB Gaming Grant and so can only fund secondary school championship
Student Council (J. Simmons – sponsor teacher) – asking for $1,000
– put on events to build school spirit (Halloween Dance, Canned Food Drive, Santa Pictures, Spring Fling Dance, etc.)
Safe Teen – (Don – sponsor teacher) – asking for $2,400
– anti-violence program for Gr. 10’s ($325/class for 2 sessions each)
Robotics Competition – (A. Wong – sponsor teacher) – asking for $2,000
– money for 4 starter kits – robots don’t change from year to year, but playing field does
– develop Gr. 8 and 9’s to compete against themselves
– engineering driven and programming
– VEX IQ – age 16 competition cut-off
Aboriginal Club – (D. Wilmann – sponsor teacher) – asking $700
– 41 Aboriginal students at JO
– bridging with an artist – wants to develop the boards in the hallway over the year
– run meetings and share culture – for non-Aboriginal and Aboriginal students
Boys Club – (D. Wilmann – sponsor teacher) – asking $1,000
– result of recognized need of Filipinos coming to school needing a space to find positive experiences and create social/emotional connections
– Constable Freeman comes every Wed.
- School Board/Provincial Government update: (Richard Edge co-PAC liaison w/Sangeeta Kauldher)
– VSTA – Van. Secondary Teacher’s Association
– VSB fired 9 elected School Trustees; Min. of Education staff member is in the role probably for next 2 yrs.
– teachers cannot attend Council meetings so must go to committee meetings
– A meeting was held at the VSB on October 20 to show support for the fired Trustees
– DPAC will hold a meeting at the VSB on October 27 at 7 pm – public is welcome to attend
– the first official Trustee meeting will be held on November 7
– Principal Pedro de Silva assured parents that teachers at JO are creating a good environment for students.
– Parent Advocacy Network (PAN) – To learn more about what is happening with the school board, please check PAN’s website is www.panvancouver.ca
– Any voicemail phone calls to Minister Mike Bernier’s office in the evening will be documented and shared the next day. Please phone (250) 387-1977 with your positive message for a new school to be re-built.
- Voting on Funds:
– Tracey (Treasurer) talked about the Gaming Grant of $20,000 should be used to benefit all JO students.
– Parents and Executive stayed to vote on distribution of the Gaming Grant.
- Mini Bingo Night:
– Postponed until January, 2017.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:00 pm. with the next PAC meeting to be held Wednesday November 16, 2016.
To stay in touch and help learn about/share the happenings at John Oliver, please:
‘like’ the John Oliver Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/John-Oliver-Secondary-School-1081121061932130/?fref=ts ), the Twitter feed (https://twitter.com/jo_school), or (if in Mini) ask to join the Mini School parents FB (https://www.facebook.com/groups/620874101402791/)
You can also check in on the John Oliver PAC blog (http://jo-online.vsb.bc.ca/pac).