Seymour staff have identified some needed items for children, families and things that could help at the school/classroom level. As always, many inner city schools could very well need items similar to our list.
- funds to help fund services like Art Therapy or Speech and Language Services which have huge impact one child at a time. Without sustained donor generosity, we cannot continue to provide services for students that they wouldn’t be getting otherwise. Unless otherwise requested, we have been putting monetary donations into a specific account to fund services. We are hoping that people realize each small donation adds up to an amount that can really make big impact. Thank you!
- Kleenex boxes
- Lice kits (Resultz is a great brand and easy to use for children as it doesn’t sting) continue to be a big priority!
- Hair elastics, hair clips, hair combs and brushes and infusium leave in conditioner spray (detangler)
- Plastic bins – rubbermaid for cloakrooms for children to keep personal items in (to try and prevent the spread of bugs possibly brought to school in clothing) A class set would be anywhere from 18 to 25 bins
Items to help Families in need:
- grocery cards to grocery stores (in $25 denominations is helpful) – Buy Low Foods, PriceSmart, SuperStore
- gift cards to Zellers/The Bay/Old Navy etc to help us purchase needed items like bedding, particular clothing for infants, etc
- Transit tickets (adult and child) This is helpful for families needing to get to appointments etc. out of the community
- Offer to help sponsor a particular family and help take care of some specific needs (i.e. items for a younger or older child) – we can help coordinate this from the school level
Gym Equipment/Sports Clothing
- soccer shin pads for boys and girls
- Yoga Mats ( A staff member wants to be able to do yoga classes in the gym for students in the morning and we need 25 – 30 mats)
- Parachute that could be used for individual classes
- gift cards (Kidsbooks, Chapters) or cash donations to our library or to specific classroom libraries to purchase more books for classroom collections
- gently used recent books we can send home to families for home collections
- Electric Pencil Sharpeners with good motors
- Healthy snacks continue to be appreciated and are used daily. Thank you!
- Dress up clothes for Kindergarten, Grade 1 and 2 students
- Toys for classroom centers: barbies, dolls, lego and building blocks, etc
- sponsor a class on a field trip experience – transportation, admission or both Contact the school for specific ideas.
- become an in-school mentor through the Big Brothers/Sisters Program: Find out more here
- become a One to One reader. Read more here.
- various opportunities for volunteers to help in classrooms, on field trips, etc.
For our lunchroom:
- financial contributions earmarked to help purchase a new stove. The stove we have now is 18 years old. One burner doesn’t work and considering that the stove is used daily for breakfast preparation and for the Cooking Fun for Families program, the concern is that this stove doesn’t have much life in it. The VSB will contribute some money towards a new convection model but we still need approximately $500.
We had a second distribution day Friday November 4th to pass out items to intermediate students. It was as successful as our October 14th day where we outfitted our younger children with clothing/shoes/boots for the cold weather ahead. Read more here. Thanks again to an amazing group of volunteers who helped with both of these days! Many children have big smiles and warm clothes thanks to so much generosity from the community!
We need to go over notes from the day to look at what items we may still need and will update this wish list to reflect these needs soon.
Our list from before has been removed while we get ourselves organized again.
Unless, previously arranged, we are not collecting clothing items at this time. We have to make some changes as to where we store donated items in the school to make space for the Strong Start Program which is going to be at Seymour in the new year. We have a very tight deadline and therefore, cannot accept donations that we are not expecting. Thank you to everyone who has donated so far. Our wish list will be updated regularly.